Prof. Edward Seidel (USA), Prof. Gabrielle Allen (USA),and Prof. Annika Hinze (New Zealand) visited NUST-SEECS
17th April, 2017
Prof. Edward Seidal & Prof. Gabrielle visited SEECS on 17th April, 2016 from 9:30am to 1:30pm. During this visit they were briefed by Principal SEECS about NUST and SEECS, its accomplishments and future plans. The foreign guests then presented their areas of expertise and shared their experiences with SEECS Faculty and Students. They also visited various research labs at SEECS. During interactive session with SEECS Faculty, the following points were highlighted for future collaboration:
- Prof. Gabrielle is working on Astronomy and is interested in collaboration with NUST SEECS on Machine Learning techniques that would help in Big Data Analytics of the Huge Astronomical Data.
- Prof. Edward is heading the Mid West Data Hub and also involved in United States National Data Service. He showed his interest in collaboration opportunities in these areas.
- It was discussed that collaboration in terms of student & faculty exchange should be promoted between NUST and Univ. of Illinois / NCSA. Prof. Edward will look into possible opportunities for fee waiver for NUST FDP candidates.
- SEECS faculty and foreign guests agreed to establish a permanent communication channel through which future collaboration plans will be shared. Prof. Edward will share his thoughts on potential collaboration points on his return to USA.
- Students showed interest in accessing the astronomical data sets for application of their Deep Learning knowledge. Prof. Gabrielle showed willingness to guide the students to the right resource persons and shared her contact details for follow-up.