Policy for Semester Freezing (Temporary Suspension)
(a) Definition:- “suspension” means that a student is not allowed to continue regular academic activities for a specified time.
(b) Policy:- A student may be recommended for suspension by the Faculty Board of Studies for approval by Main Office, NUST subject to any of the conditions listed below, namely:-
(i) on disciplinary grounds when recommended by the Discipline Committee of the respective institution and the Discipline Committee of the University.
(ii) if overall attendance of the student is below 75% in a semester on medical grounds or reasons beyond his control; or
(iii) if the student remains absent for more than thirty but less than forty-five consecutive days without valid reasons (including absence during research phase for MS students)
(iv) suspension on reasons beyond student‟s control or on authorized grounds /sanctioned leave from competent authority.
(d) Suspension of Registration. (1) If a student remains absent for 45 or more consecutive days without intimation or any valid reason, his / her admission / registration will be suspended. However, such student may resume the same program subject to meeting the following conditions:
(i) has completed minimum one year of studies and attained mandatory GPAs;
(ii) has been recommended by the respective institution.
(2) On re-admission, the student will pay the prescribed admission fee and 50% tuition fee for the period of absence. The rate of fee will be as applicable to students of the semester which he / she joins.
(3) While considering the case for re-admission, it will be ascertained by the respective institution that the student has sufficient time to complete his / her degree within the prescribed time limit, which will start from date of original / first admission.
(4) No special classes / courses will be planned / arranged for such cases, other than planned classes for repeat courses.
(5) After re-admission, his / her studies will be governed by the rules and regulations applicable to the entry he joins.
(6) Suspension of registration, on grounds of prolonged absence, will be granted only once in the program in which he / she was originally granted admission.
(7) For Masters student’s, suspension of registration, on ground of prolonged absence, will also be applicable during research phase.
For more information please contact SEECS Exams Branch