Last Date of Registration - 8th March, 2019
European Union (EU) has identified Photonics as one of the six Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) which will shape the 21st century. On similar lines, in US the National Photonics Initiative (NPI) has been established since 2016—a broad-based collaborative alliance among industry, academia, and government institutions. The major objectives of NPI are to combine the strength and resources for photonics and quantum sciences and related technologies for the emerging applications in the connected world.
See for example: Link
This symposium will focus on various key areas of Photonics; e.g., from Photonic Devices, to Photonics Integrated Circuits (PICs) for large scale datacentres, large bandwidth optical fibre communications, and emerging semiconductor devices, optical sensors and platforms for e-healthcare, smart grids, and autonomous sensors for Internet of Things paradigm.
Scope of symposium:
The broader scope of the ExTRA-OPAL is as follows;
- Photonics and Nanophotonics
- Integrated Photonics
- Silicon photonics devices and technologies
- High bandwidth optical communications and networks
- Optical sensors and technologies
- Optical MEMS
- Semiconductor lasers
- Development of numerical methods for photonics
- Photonic crystals and artificial dielectric structures
The symposium would include invited presentations and contributed talks from world class invited speakers and researchers. Also local industry professionals will be invited to participate in panel discussions. This event will also provide an opportunity for the young professionals to learn from the leading international authorities about the latest developments and future trends related to rapidly expanding field of integrated photonics and emerging quantum optics applications.
Relevance and Scientific Significance of the Event with Reference to Existing National Needs:
Leading national and international researchers are invited to present state-of-the-art technologies and developments in the fields of optical communications and optical devices.
1. Pakistan has become an international market for the next generation communication networks. The initiatives of the Govt. of Pakistan have also enabled the growth in the forms of offering 3G and 4G licensing.
2. Optical communications has the pivotal role in defining modern communications, social networking, entertainment, data storage, and cloud computing.
3. Optical communications is not just limited to optical fiber technologies and free space optics (FSO), rather it includes the enabling technologies, such as, transmitters, phase shifters, modulators, receivers, polarization controllers, and many more integrated optical elements. Therefore, it is imperative to include the latest development in all these active and passive semiconductor devices in the scope of this international event.
4. Moreover, optical devices are increasingly being deployed in the sensing applications now covering the detection up to mid- and far-IR. The technologies and enabling devices require to achieve low-loss and high detection sensors, such as FBG, LPG, nanowires, slot guides, need to be investigated and presented along with the computational tools and numerical methods. All such developments are fueling the growth of Internet of Things (IoT).
Who Should Attend?
This two day international symposium is beneficial for research students, academics and professionals to acquaint themselves with the world class research and development in photonics.
- PKR 3,000/- for Professionals
- PKR 800/- for Students
Registration fee covers certificate and course materials only.
Mode of Payment
Payments are received through online deposit /bank draft/pay order / transfer to Account No: 2292 7000 746401 beneficial Bank Ltd (Account Title: “NUST-SEECS Seminar/Workshop/Short Course A/C”). On Spot cash payment will not be entertained. Please send your transaction reference number and payment screenshot /scanned receipt to email@example.com for confirmation of registration.
Prof. Dr. S. M. H. Zaidi
Prof. Bhawani Shankar